Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Joining the Party

Yesterday, I received in the mail a request to renew my membership within the Democratic Party of Wisconsin. Without hesitation, I signed a check and immediately filled out the proper paperwork to rejoin the party.

That isn't to say, however, that I am completely supportive of the Democratic platform; there are many issues which I strongly support that the party itself does not. For instance, at the national level the Democratic Party has not offered a strong enough stance on gay marriage, an issue I'm 100% in support of. Most pragmatic Democrats, however, see the issue as one that cannot be won, and opt for the less-inclusive civil union option as a reasonable compromise.

Still, the Democratic Party remains, for the most part, the party of the People. They support the issues that benefit the most Americans, rather than the top 2 or 1 percent, like cutting taxes for the middle class while allowing the Bush tax cuts for the rich to expire.

I'm proud to be a part of a party that addresses the concerns of the middle class, that works to make the rule of law just again, and that works to pass legislation based on reason rather than religious preferences. This is the party that combines the best elements of populism with liberty, that looks to the future rather than stays in the past.

I'm proud to support Democrats like Russ Feingold, Barack Obama, Mark Miller, Dave Obey, Gwen Moore, Tammy Baldwin, and more, because they represent not only my interests but the interests of the vast majority of Americans.

Consider joining the party today. It's a decision I know I won't regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment